(SwGbt: t. 233; l. 151'2"; b. 34'3"; dph. 5'2"; dr. 6'; a. 3 30-pdr. P.r.; 3 32-pdrs., 2 12-pdr. sb., 6 24-pdr. how.)
A former name retained.
Peosta, a side-wheel wooden gunboat, was purchased at Dubuque, Iowa, 13 June 1863; fitted out at Cairo, III., and commissioned 2 October 1863, Lt. Thomas E. Smith in command.
Assigned to the Naval forces on the Tennessee River, Peosta departed Cairo 28 October and arrived at Paducah, Ky., 3 November. Remaining on the Tennessee throughout the Civil War, she cruised between Paducah and Eastport, Miss., to protect Union shipping and support Army activities. In the spring of 1864 she assisted in halting a Confederate land and river offensive against Paducah as they moved through Union lines to repossess defenses along the river. Remaining on the Tennessee into June 1865 she arrived at Mound City, Ill., on the 5th for inactivation. On 7 August 1865 she decommissioned and 10 days later was sold to John W. Waggoner.