The Navy retained the name carried by this vessel at the time she was acquired and placed in service.
(S. P. 1227: tonnage 135 (gross); length 99'8"; beam 23'3"; draft 3'6"(aft); speed 11 knots (maximum), 10 knots (cruising); armament none)
Patchogue -- a wooden-hulled twin-screw ferryboat built in 1912 at City Island, N.Y., by Robert Jacob and inspected in the First Naval District -- was purchased by the Navy from the Boston, Nahant & Pines Steamship Co. Given the classification S. P. 1227, the vessel was placed in service at New London, Conn., where, assigned to the Third Naval District, she operated as a ferry servicing the Submarine Base at New London.
Reclassified in the category of ferryboats and launches (YFB), Patchogue was redesignated as YFB-1227 on 1 July 1920. Transferred to the Fourth Naval District in June 1921, Patchogue was taken out of service on 25 July 1921.
Placed on a list of vessels to be sold (13 March 1922) Patchogue was ultimately acquired by Charles Carr of Keansburg, N.J., for $2,250.00, on 16 June 1922.
Robert J. Cressman
22 January 2019