(AG-93: dp. 2,411; l. 338-8-; b. 50-4-; dr. 21-1-; s. 11 k.; cpl. 105; a. 1 3-; T. C1-M-AV1)
A county in Minnesota.
Nicollet (AK-199) was laid down 9 February 1944 for the Maritime Commission as M.C. hull 2153 by Globe Shipbuilding Corp.; named Nicollet 25 February 1944; launched 31 July 1944 as AK-199; sponsored by Mrs. F. C. Hanson; converted for Navy use by Samuelson Shipyard, Beaumont, Tex. and Brown Shipyard, Houston, Tex.; redesignated AG-93 on 12 March 1945; and commissioned 27 April Lt. F. M. Bible in command.
After shakedown in the Gulf of Mexico Nicollet was reclassified AVS-6 effective 25 May 1945. Steaming to the Pacific, she arrived in the forward area and was assigned to Commander, Air Forces, Subordinate Command Forward, Pacific Fleet. She operated out of Apra Harbor, Guam.
Nicollet followed closely behind the invasion forces to supply newly acquired airstrips and aviation activities with spare parts and other needs. She salvaged goods, returned materials for repair and eventual re-use, and supplied aircraft carriers at sea.
At the end of hostilities she continued to support naval and marine air groups, both carrier and land-based. In April 1946 she returned to the West Coast via Pearl Harbor. Following a cruise to the Gulf of Mexico, she sailed again to the western Pacific. Returning to San Francisco, Calif. she decommissioned and was returned to the War Shipping Administration 17 June. She was struck from the Navy Register 3 July and sold to France 24 July.