Skip to main content
Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Related Content
  • Boats-Ships--Support Ships
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials
(APA-216: dp. 14,833; l. 455-; b. 62-; dr. 28-1-; s. 18 k.; cpl. 536; a. 1 5-, 12 40mm.; cl. Haskell; T. VC2-S-AP5)

A county in Mississippi.

Neshoba (APA-216), ex-MCV hull 564, was built under Maritime Commission contract by the Permanente Metals Corp., Richmond, Calif.; launched 7 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Wendall E. Adams; and acquired and commissioned 16 November 1944, Comdr. Martin J. Drury in command.

Following shakedown off the southern California coast, the -Victory- transport Neshoba departed San Francisco, 7 January 1945, bound for Pearl Harbor. On arrival there she discharged her cargo of food and took on SeaBees, troops, and materiel for transportation to the Philippines. She stood into Leyte Gulf 20 February and, after disembarking her passengers and their equipment at Guiuan, Samar, proceeded into San Pedro Bay. There, on 2 March, she assumed flagship duties for TransDiv 42 and commenced training with units of the 96th Infantry Division for operation "Iceberg," the invasion of the Ryukyus.

Clearing Leyte Gulf, 27 March, as a unit of TF 55 (the Southern Attack Force), Neshoba steamed north, arriving off the Hagushi beaches before dawn on 1 April. At 0615, she commenced lowering her boats to participate in the first six waves against the southern beaches, White and Brown. After H-hour, 0830, she remained in the transport area, beginning the discharge of her cargo at 1653. For the next three days she off-loaded cargo and disembarked troops by day and retired at night, meeting little resistance from the Japanese defenders of Okinawa.

On 5 April she sailed eastward for Hawaii. Steaming via Guam, where she took on Japanese POWs, she arrived at Pearl Harbor on the 22nd, discharged her POWs, and then took up training duties off Maui. In mid-May, she was ordered to San Francisco, where she embarked Naval Repair Unit personnel for Okinawa. Sailing 7 June, she was held at Guam for three weeks, arriving at Buckner Bay 24 July. There she found the Japanese resistance, bolstered by the Kamikaze Corps much stiffer than it had been on 1 April. She remained for only five days, departing for Saipan on the 29th. At Saipan, she took on passengers and headed for the United States, arriving at Seattle 24 August.

While enroute hostilities had ceased (14 August) and Neshoba was assigned to carry occupation troops to the Japanese home islands. Departing 10 September with a detachment of 97th Infantry Division personnel aboard, she steamed into Tokyo Bay in early October. Then assigned to TG 16.12, the "Magic Carpet," she was employed in shuttling veterans home until March, 1946. The following month she reported to Com 19th Fleet for inactivation. Decommissioned at Stockton, 4 December, she remained a unit of the Pacific Reserve Fleet until 4 September 1958 when she was transferred to the custody of the Maritime Administration and struck from the Navy List, 1 October 1958. Since that time, into 1970, Neshoba has been laid tip at Suisun Bay as a unit of the National Defense Reserve Fleet.

Neshoba received one battle star for her World War II service.

Published: Wed Aug 12 15:10:53 EDT 2015