(PG-7: dp. 1,371; l. 233-8-; b. 38-1-; dr. 11-; s. 16.3 k.; cpl. 180; a. 8 4-, 2 6-pdrs., 2 3-pdrs., 2 1-pdrs.)
The capital of Tennessee.
Nashville, an unfinished Confederate ironclad ram built at Montgomery, Ala., surrendered to Union forces at Nanna Hubba, Ala. 10 May 1865. Subsequently purchased by the Navy from a prize court, the ship had no service before she was sold at public auction at New Orleans 22 November 1867. See "Nashville" "Confederate Forces Afloat" DANFS 11, 552.
Nashville (Gunboat No. 7) was laid down 9 August 1894 by Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Company, Newport News, Virginia; launched 19 October 1895; sponsored by Miss Maria Guild, and commissioned 19 August 1897, Comdr. Washburn Maynard in command.
Upon commissioning Nashville joined the North Atlantic Fleet; and, as war with Spain became imminent after the sinking of battleship Maine, she was ordered to the Caribbean. She captured four Spanish vessels during the period 22 April26 July 1898, and assisted in cutting the undersea telegraph cable off Cienfuegos. Nashville remained on duty off Cuba until the war's end.
The gunboat departed the Caribbean for duty in the Philippines 14 October 1899, arriving at Manila 31 December via the Suez Canal. Nashville provided gunfire support for American troops in campaigns against Filipino insurgents until June 1900. When the Boxer Rebellion erupted in China, Nashville departed Cavite 8 June for China with a Marine detachment embarked. She arrived at Taku 18 June, disembarked the Marines assigned to the International Relief Expedition, and remained until the allied forces lifted the siege of Peking. After patrol duty off China, Nashville arrived at Cavite 3 February 1901, where she based until July. Transferred to the Mediterranean, the gunboat arrived at Genoa, Italy, 22 September 1901.
After a year-s patrol duty, Nashville left Gibraltar 1 November 1902, arriving Boston 16 January 1903. On the Caribbean Station from 26 May 1903 until 4 March 1904, she returned to Boston 18 June and decommissioned 30 June.
Recommissioned 8 August 1905 at Boston Navy Yard, Nashville sailed 8 September for Santo Domingo, operating off Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Santo Domingo until 26 June 1906, when she returned to Boston to decommission 23 July.
After three years in reserve, Nashville was assigned to the Illinois Naval Militia 29 April 1909. From May 1909 to July 1911 she trained militiamen on the Great Lakes, homeported at Chicago. After extensive overhaul and sea trials, she departed Boston 7 January 1912, arriving Santo Domingo 31 January to begin five years of patrol operations in the West Indies and off Central America, protecting United States interests. The ship participated in the blockade of Mexico, proclaimed in April 1914 by President Woodrow Wilson, after the overthrow of the Mexican government by Huerta. After a shore period of reduced commission status from 10 May to 8 July 1916 in New Orleans, the gunboat returned to Tampico, Mexico, where she remained until the United States entered World War I, 6 April 1917.
After temporary duty off Tampico Nashville sailed from Norfolk 2 August 1917, arriving Gibraltar 18 August to patrol off the Moroccan coast. After serving as convoy escort off North Africa and in the western Mediterranean until 15 July 1918, Nashville departed Gibraltar, arriving :1 August at Charleston, S.C. The ship decommissioned 21) October 1918 at Charleston and was sold 20 October 1921 to J. L. Bernard and Company, Washington, D.C.