(SS-53: dp. 348 (surf.), 414 (subm.); l. 147-3-; b. 1519- l. dr. 12-6-; s. 13 k. (surf.), 11 k. (subm.); cpl. 25; a. 4 181, tt.; cl. N-1)
N-1 (SS-53) was laid down 26 July 1915 by Seattle Construction and Drydock Co., Seattle, Wash.; launched 30 December 1916; sponsored by Mrs. Guy E. Davis; and commissioned 26 September 1917, Lt. G. A. Trevor in command.
Designed as a coast defense submarine, N-1 was fitted out at Puget Sound Navy Yard and then departed 21 November 1917 for San Francisco in company with her sisters N-2 and N-3. Reassigned to the East Coast, she departed San Francisco 13 December for Balboa, Canal Zone and thence proceeded via Cristobal, C.Z., Jamaica, Key West, and Norfolk, to New London, Conn. arriving 7 February 1918.
Reporting for duty to Commander, 1st Naval District, the submarine began her first patrol 23 June by hunting for a U-Boat reported in the vicinity of Cape Cod. After an intensive but fruitless search, N-1 continued her patrol off the New England Coast. For the remainder of the war and until early 1922, N-1 continued her operations in the area from New London to Bar Harbor.
Placed in reduced commission 1 May 1922, N-1 became a training submarine for the Submarine School New London. She continued this duty until ordered to Philadelphia Navy Yard on 9 December 1925. Arriving at Philadelphia 18 December, she was decommissioned 30 April 1926. Struck from the Naval Vessel Register 18 December 1930, N-1 was scrapped in early 1931.