A free flowing tributary of the Potomac River located in northern Maryland; its name derives from the Shawnee Native American tribe's description of the river "Monnockkesey," which is believed to mean "a river with many bends."
Monocacy -- built in 1905 by the Maryland Steel Co., Sparrow's Point, Md., was acquired on 27 July 1917; and commissioned on 10 November 1917 as Genesee (Id. No. 1116), Lt. C. H. T. B. Tissell, USNRF, in command.
Published: Mon Apr 02 22:57:54 EDT 2018