(C‑13: dp. 7,375; l. 413'1"; b. 58'2"; dr. 22'7"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 477; a. 1 8", 2 6", 8 4", 12 6‑pdrs., 4 1‑pdrs, 4 18" tt.; cl. Columbia)
A city in southeast Minnesota.
The first Minneapolis (Cruiser No. 13) was laid down 16 December 1891 by William Cramp & Sons, Philadelphia, Pa.; launched 12 August 1893; sponsored by Miss Elizabeth Washburn, daughter of Senator William D. Washburn of Minnesota; and commissioned at Philadelphia 13 December 1894, Capt. G. H. Wadleigh, USN, in command.
Assigned to the North Atlantic Squadron, the new cruiser took part in maneuvers and cruises along the eastern seaboard and in the West Indies until she was assigned to the European Squadron 27 November 1895, arriving Gibraltar, 13 December. After cruising in the Mediterranean she visited Cronstadt, Russia, 13 May to 19 June, as flagship of Rear Adm. T. O. Selfridge, representing the United States at the coronation of Czar Nicholas II. Following visits to principal ports of northern Europe she returned to Turkey and Greece. She departed Gibraltar 21 June 1897 and arrived at Philadelphia 6 July. The next day she was placed in reserve at League Island Navy Yard, Philadelphia.
Upon outbreak of the Spanish‑American War, Minneapolis was assigned to the Northern Patrol Squadron, operating along the north Atlantic coast of the United States. In April 1898, she was dispatched for scouting duty in the West Indies, searching for Admiral Cervera's fleet as far as the coast of Venezuela, and returning to Santiago de Cuba. 19 May 1899, en route to Key West, Fla.
She decommissioned at Philadelphia 18 August 1898 and remained in ordinary in League Island Navy Yard until recommissioned as a receiving ship 23 April 1902. She again decommissioned at League Island Navy Yard, Philadelphia 2 June 1903 and recommissioned 5 October 1903. She took part in the Louisiana Purchase Celebration at New Orleans, 16 to 28 December, and spent much of the next year cruising the West Indies.
Minneapolis arrived New London 2 May 1905 to participate in the unveiling of the John Winthrop Monument, then was assigned to a Special Service Squadron with Ceasar and Dixie, under the command of Rear Adm. C. Al. Colby, to make astronomical and other scientific observations off the coast of Spain and Africa. She sailed from New York 3 July 1905 and arrived at Gibraltar on the 17th, carrying scientists to observe the solar eclipse, 30 August 1905. She departed the Mediterranean 10 November 1905 and sailed via France and England to the United States arriving Hampton Roads, 23 December.
She was at Annapolis, 20 April to 5 May 1906, for ceremonies commemorating the arrival of the body of John Paul Jones, and, after taking midshipmen on a practice cruise, conducted training cruises for men of the naval militias of New York and Connecticut. She decommissioned at Philadelphia 17 November 1906 and remained in ordinary until the United States entered World War I.
Recommissioned 2 July 1917, Minneapolis got underway from Philadelphia 15 September for Hampton Roads, and departed that base 26 October for Colon, Canal Zone, where she joined British transports Arawa and Corinthia. The vessels sailed from Colon 6 November and steamed by way of Hampton Roads to Halifax, Nova Scotia. The cruiser continued to operate along the Atlantic coast until assigned to transatlantic convoy duty 24 February 1918. During the next 8 months she made four escort voyages, departing New York and sailing to ocean rendezvous where the convoys were turned over to British destroyers. On her last voyage she departed New York on 9 October as escort for a convoy to Sydney, Nova Scotia, and returned to New York, 19 October. She was assigned to the Pacific Station as flagship, arriving San Diego, Calif., 7 February 1919. She decommissioned at the Mare Island Navy Yard, 15 March 1921, and was sold on 5 August 1921.