(ACM-13: displacement 910 (standard); length 189'; beam 37'; draft 12'; speed 12 knots; complement 135; armament none; class ACM-11)
A variant spelling of Miantonomoh (q.v.). The name was most likely assigned to commemorate the service of the previous ship of the name.
The U.S. Army mine planter Col. Horace F. Spurgin (MP-14) was built at Point Pleasant, W. Va., by the Marietta Manufacturing Co., in 1943. Slated for assignment to the 12th Naval District, Col. Horace F. Spurgin was transferred to the Navy and commissioned at the U.S. Naval Station, Treasure Island, Calif., as the unnamed auxiliary minelayer ACM-13 an 25 January 1950, Lt. Harold G. Gibson in command.
Assigned to the 12th Naval District, based at Treasure Island, the auxiliary minelayer operated from San Francisco Bay along the California coast training for harbor defense, logging San Diego, Calif., the Farallon Islands, and Point Sur as operating locales, and ranging as far north as Seattle, Washington. In addition she towed sea targets and supported fleet gunnery exercises. On 7 February 1955 she reclassified as an auxiliary minelayer (formerly ACM), MMA-13, and on 1 May she was named Miantonomah. Less than a fortnight later, however, on 14 May, she reported to the Long Beach Group, Pacific Reserve Fleet, to begin inactivation.
Decommissioned at Terminal Island, Long Beach, on 19 July 1955, Miantonomah entered the Pacific Reserve Fleet at Long Beach. Her name was stricken from the Navy List on 1 July 1960 and she was sold to Hubert P. Sturdivant of San Diego on 17 February 1961. She was delivered to her purchaser on 28 February.