(LSM(R)‑514: dp. 1,084; l. 206'3"; b. 34'6"; dr. 7'2" (mean); s. 13 k.; cpl. 138; a. 1 5", 4 4.2", 4 40mm., 10 rkt.; cl. LSMR(R)‑401)
A river about 40 miles long, which flows through southwestern New Jersey and empties into Delaware Bay.
LSM(R)‑514 was originally authorized as LSM‑514. Reclassified LSM(R)‑514 on 9 February 1945, she was laid down 21 April by Brown Shipbuilding Co., Houston, Tex.; launched 19 May 1945 and commissioned 14 July 1945, Lt. Philip H. Alston, Jr., in command.
At the end of World War II, LSM(R)‑514 was outfitting at the Charleston, S.C., Navy Yard. She steamed to Little Creek, Va., 17 August where she reported to Amphibious Forces, Atlantic Fleet on the 20th. Following training in Chesapeake Bay, she departed the Norfolk area 4 October for a good will tour of the Great Lakes, returning to Little Creek 14 November. For the next 9 years she operated out of Little Creek, cruising primarily off the middle Atlantic coast. She deployed annually to the Caribbean for extended training operations and twice, in 1947 and 1949, she steamed north for exercises off Newfoundland and Labrador.
LSM(R)‑514 departed Little Creek 22 May 1954 and arrived at Mayport, Fla,, on the 29th. She moved to Jacksonville 3 days later and on 15 June was towed to Green Cove Springs, Fla. Decommissioned 30 July 1954, she was berthed at Green Cove Springs as part of the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. While still in reserve, LSM (R)‑514 was named Maurice River on 1 October 1955. Struck from the Naval Vessel Register 1 February 1960, she was sold to Atlas Iron & Metals Corp., 5 July 1960 and towed away for scrapping on 9 August.