(SS‑376: dp. 1,526 (surf.), 2,424 (subm.); l. 311'9"; b. 27'3"; dr. 15'3" (mean); s. 20.25 k. (surf.), 8.75 k. (subm.); cpl. 66; a. 1 5", 1 40mm., 1 20mm., 2 .50 cal. mg., 10 21" tt.; cl. Balao)
Fish of the Gobioidea suborder occurring off the West Indies and the Atlantic coasts of Central America and Mexico.
Mapiro (SS‑376) was laid down by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co., Manitowoc, Wis., 30 May 1944; launched 9 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Philip H. Ross; and commissioned 30 April 1945, Comdr. Vincent A. Sisler, Jr., in command.
Following trials on Lake Michigan, Mapiro entered a floating drydock at Lockport, Ill.; and was towed down the Chicago and Mississippi Rivers to New Orleans, La., to be readied for duty in the South Pacific. She sailed for the Canal Zone 31 May, arriving off Balboa 5 June for training. On the 28th the submarine got underway for Hawaii in company with Cutlass (SS‑478), arriving Pearl Harbor 15 July.
Mapiro sailed for the Marianas on her first war patrol 4 August, arriving off Saipan the day Japan surrendered, 15 August. She remained on observation patrol until returning to the west coast in September, arriving at San Francisco for deactivation by the 25th.
On 16 March 1946 Mapiro decommissioned to enter the Pacific Reserve Fleet at Mare Island, Calif., 1 January 1947. On 18 March 1960 the submarine was transferred on loan under the Military Assistance Program to Turkey and continues through 1968 to serve the Turkish navy as Piri Reis (S‑343).