(AK‑230: dp. 15,580 (lim.); l. 455'0"; b. 62'; dr. 29'2"; s. 15.5 k.; cpl. 99; a. l. 5", 1 3"; cl. Boulder Victory)
A former name retained. Manderson is a town in northern Wyoming near the Bighorn River.
Manderson Victory (AK‑230) was laid down 4 July 1944 by Permanente Metals Corp., Yard No. 1, Richmond, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; launched 23 September 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Florence Robertson; transferred to the Navy 3 November 1944; and commissioned the same day at the Mare Island Navy Yard, Lt. Comdr. John Larsen in command.
After shakedown off San Pedro, Manderson Victory loaded ammunition and planes on board and sailed for Hawaii 5 December to join Service Squadron 10, Pacific Fleet. She arrived Pearl Harbor 11 December.
Discharging her cargo of planes, Manderson Victory departed for the Carolines, arriving Ulithi Atoll 26 December. She transported ammunition in the western Pacific into June 1945, with two voyages to the Ryukyu Islands from 28 March to 17 June 1945 during the assault and occupation of Okinawa. Departing Ulithi for the Philippines 19 June 1945, the cargo ship arrived San Pedro Bay 22 June and resumed her logistic support.
On 3 November Manderson Victory left for the United States, arriving Seattle, Wash., 23 November. She continned on to the east coast 17 February 1946 via the Panama Canal and Puerto Rico, docking at New York 24 April. Manderson Victory decommissioned 10 May 1946 and was returned to WSA the same day. She entered the Maritime Commission National Defense Reserve Fleet at James River, Va., 17 October 1953. In July 1966 Manderson Victory was leased under General Agency Agreement to Farrell Lines, Inc., New York, N.Y., for service as a freighter.
Manderson Victory received one battle star for World War II service.