(Destroyer No. 175: dp. 1,060; l. 314'5"; b. 31'; dr. 8'6"; s. 33.5 k.; cpl. 101; a. 4 4", 1 3", 1‑2 21" tt.; cl. Wickes)
Lt. Comdr. Alexander Slidell MacKenzie, born 24 January 1842 in New York, was appointed midshipman 29 September 1855. Serving in Hartford on the China station at the outbreak of the Civil War, he returned to the United States and joined Kineo, in which he served during Farragut's daring dash past Forts Jackson and St. Philip on the lower Mississippi to capture New Orleans in 1862. During 1863 and 1864 he participated in the blockade of Charleston and the attacks on Fort Sumter and Morris Island. After the end of the war, he returned to the Far East in Hartford, in which he served until 13 June 1867, when he was killed on Formosa while leading a reprisal attack against those responsible for the deaths of the entire crew of the American bark Rover.
The second MacKenzie (Destroyer No. 175) was laid down by the Union Iron Works, San Francisco, Calif., 4 July 1918; launched 29 September 1919; sponsored by Mrs. Percy J. Cotton; and commissioned 25 July 1919, Lt. Cmdr. E. T. Oates in command. On 17 July 1920, she was designated DD‑175.
Following commissioning and shakedown, MacKenzie became unit of the Pacific Fleet and operated with Destroyer Squadrons 2 and 4 until decommissioned at Mare Island 27 May 1922. MacKenzie remained in reserve until she recommissioned at San Diego, 6 November 1939.
In 1940, the ship was one of 50 destroyers exchanged, under the terms of the Lend‑Lease Agreement, for strategic bases off the North American coast. She arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia, 20 September 1940. Mere, on the 24th, she decommissioned, was turned over to the Royal Canadian Navy and recommissioned HMCS Annapolis. MacKenzie was struck from the Navy list 8 January 1941.
Until 1944, Annapolis sailed with the Halifax and Western Local Escort Forces escorting convoys from east of St. Johns, Newfoundland, to New York. In April 1944, she was attached to HMCS Cornwallis, near Annapolis, Novia Scotia, where she remained as a training ship until the end of the war. On 4 June 1945, she was turned over to the War Assets Corp. and sold to Frankel Bros., Ltd., of Toronto for scrapping.