(DD‑331: dp. 1,190; l. 314'5"; b. 3118"; dr. 9'4"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 95; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" tt.; cl. Clemson)
Commodore Thomas Macdonough was born 23 December 1783 in The Trap (now Macdonough), Delaware. He was appointed midshipman 5 February 1800 and participated with distinction in operations against Tripoli, 1803‑04, serving on Philadelphia before her capture and volunteering for the dash into Tripoli Harbor with Decatur to burn the captured vessel. During the War of 1812, he commanded the United States Squadron on Lake Champlain. His energy in preparation and vigor in combat won a skillfully executed victory over the British in Plattsburg Bay, 11 September 1814 that had far‑reaching effects. In denying control of the lake to the British, Macdonough's victory forced the invading army to retire to Canada, and left no grounds for British territorial claims in the area at the Ghent peace conference. Honored by Congress with promotion to captain, he served as Commandant, Portsmouth Navy Yard 1815‑18, before assuming command of Guerriere and taking up station in the Mediterranean. He sailed to the Mediterranean again in 1824 as commanding officer of Constitution, but because of poor health was relieved 14 October 1825 at his own request. He departed for home in Edwin, but died at sea 10 November 1825 and was buried in Middletown, Conn.
The second Macdonough (DD‑331) was laid down 24 May 1920 by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., San Francisco, Calif.; launched 15 December 1920; sponsored by Mrs. Charles W. Dabney, great‑granddaughter of Commodore Thomas Macdonough; and commissioned 30 April 1921, Lt. Comdr. H. J. Ray in command.
Based at San Diego throughout her naval service, Macdonough operated primarily along the west coast. Periodic maneuvers and cruises with the Battle Fleet off the Pacific coast of Central America, the Hawaiian Islands, and in the Caribbean, as well as special assignments, intervened in her normal operations schedule. Included in her special assignments was a good will cruise with the fleet to Samoa, Australia, and New Zealand, 20 June to 26 September 1925.
On 22 March 1929, Maodonough returned to San Diego from fleet exercises held off Balboa, Canal Zone, and operated off southern California until decommissioning at San Diego 8 January 1930. She was sold as scrap 20 December 1930.