LST-523 was laid down on 15 October 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 6 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Cleona S. Rauth; and commissioned on 3 February 1944.
During World War II, LST-523 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. On 19 June 1944, she was sunk by an enemy mine. The ship was struck from the Navy list on 22 August 1944.
LST-523 earned one battle star for World War II.