LST-474 was laid down on 10 July 1942 at Vancouver, Wash., by Kaiser, Inc.; launched on 12 December 1942; and commissioned on 19 March 1943, Lt. R. W. Langworthy in command.
During World War II, LST-474 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Eastern New Guinea operation:
(a) Lae occupation-September 1943
(b) Saidor occupation-January 1944
Cape Gloucester, New Britain-December 1943
Hollandia operation-April 1944
Western New Guinea operations:
(a) Biak Island operation-May and June 1944
(b) Morotai landings-September 1944
Leyte landings-October and November 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing-January 1945
Mindanao Island landings-April 1945
Balikpapan operation-June and July 1945
Following the war, LST-474 performed occupation duty in the Far East in September 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 22 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 17 April that same year. On 17 December 1947, the ship was sold to the Ships and Power Equipment Corp., of Barber, N.J., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-474 earned eight battle stars for World War II service.