LST-32 was laid down on 17 February 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 22 May 1943; sponsored by Miss Dorothy M. Manko; and commissioned on 12 July 1943, Lt. Gardner P. Mulloy in command.
During World War II, LST-32 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
Convoy UGS-36-April 1944
Invasion of southern France-August and September 1944
LST-32 was decommissioned in July 1946. She was recommissioned on 7 March 1951. On 1 July 1955, LST-32 was assigned the name Alameda County after a county in California. She was reclassified Alameda County (AVB-1) on 28 August 1957, was decommissioned on 25 June 1962, and was struck from the Navy list that same month. On 20 November 1962, she was transferred to the Italian Navy.
Alameda County earned two battle stars for World War II service as LST-32.