(YDG-8: dp. 640 (lt.); l. 184'6"; b. 33'; dr. 9'; s. 14 k.; cpl. 65; a. 13", 4 20mm.; cl. YDG-8)
A strongly magnetic variety of the mineral magnetite.
Lodestone was laid down as PCB-876 by Albina Engine & Machine Works, Portland, Oreg., 27 May 1943; launched 30 September 1943; sponsored by Miss Virginia Phillips; renamed YDG-8 23 December 1943; and commissioned 10 June 1944, Lt. Comdr. C. V. Schlaet in command.
After shakedown YDG-8 departed San Pedro 18 August for the South Pacific. She operated out of Tulagi until early October when she joined the 7th Fleet, arriving Manus, Admiralty Islands, 6 October. For the rest of the war YDG-8 provided degaussing services in the Pacific Islands, primarily at Manus and in the Philippines.
After the war she returned to the United States and decommissioned in May 1946. She joined the Reserve Fleet and at present is berthed at San Diego. Reclassified ADG-8 1 November 1947, she was named Lodestone 1 February 1955.