Skip to main content
Related Content
  • Boats-Ships--Destroyer
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Hull IV (DD-945)

(DD-945: dp. 3,990 fl.; l. 418'; b. 45'; dr. 14'9" ; s. over 30 k.; cpl. 324; a. 3 5", 4 3", 4 21" tt, 1 dct.; cl. Forrest Sherman)

Isaac Hull was born in Derby, Conn., 9 March 1773 and was appointed Lieutenant in the U.S. Navy 9 March 1798. During the Quasi-War with France he served as Executive Officer of frigate Constitution under Silas Talbot, and distinguished himself by leading a successful expedition to capture the fort at Porto Plata, Santo Domingo. The intrepid Hull spiked the fort's guns, cut out a prize, and escaped from the harbor with it. In the war with Tripoli 1802-05 he added to his reputation while in command of brig Argus. In the War of 1812 Hull was given command of Constitution. In July 1812, while off the coast of New Jersey, he encountered a squadron of four British frigates and one ship of the line under Admiral Blake. As the wind was light or non-existent, Hull alternately towed Constitution with boats and hauled her ahead on her anchor. After three days of this skillful and strenuous work, she escaped. Later, on August 19th, Hull engaged HMS Guerriere in one of the classic battles of naval history, compelling the British ship to strike her colors and earning for his vessel the name "Old Ironsides". Promoted to Commodore, Hull commanded the Boston and Washington Navy Yards, the Pacific Squadron, and finally the Mediterranean Squadron in his later career. Commodore Hull died 13 February 1843 at Philadelphia.


The fourth Hull (DD-945) was launched by Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine, 10 August 1957; sponsored by Mrs. Albert G. Mumma; and commissioned 3 July 1958, Commander H. H. Ries in command.

Hull conducted her shakedown training in New England waters, steaming out of Newport 7 September 1958 to join the Pacific Fleet at San Diego. Arriving 13 October via the Panama Canal, she took part in fleet training exercises until departing for the Far East 15 April 1959. During this cruise she operated with the mighty 7th Fleet on Formosa Patrol, helping express America's determination to protect the island and maintain peace in the area. She returned to San Diego 3 September 1959 and after training operations sailed again for the Far East 7 July 1960. On this cruise she added hunter-killer group training to regular Formosa Patrol. Hull stopped at various ports in the region before returning to San Diego 26 November 1960.

The destroyer engaged in readiness exercises during January-August 1961, departing 31 August for another deployment to the strategic Far East. She operated off Formosa and in the South China sea, expressing American protection of the Southeast Asian countries in the fight against Communism. After fleet operations in Hawaiian waters she arrived San Diego 14 February 1962.

As the introduction of offensive missiles into Cuba precipitated another Cold War crisis, Hull sailed from San Diego 28 October 1962 to escort amphibious forces to the Canal Zone to strengthen American defenses and show her determination to resist incursion in the Western Hemisphere. As the crisis abated, again attesting to the power and importance of mobile seapower, Hull returned to her regular operations out of San Diego. She sailed once more for the Far East 17 October 1963, operating out of Subic Bay through December until returning to San Diego 16 April 1964. Hull operated on the West Coast until getting underway for the Orient 27 April 1965. During the deployment, she made three patrols off Vietnam. On 16 July she rescued an American flyer who had splashed in the Gulf of Tonkin. On 29 August she effectively shelled enemy strong points near Chu Lai. The veteran destroyer returned to San Diego 10 November.

Hull departed San Diego 18 January 1966 for the Long Beach Naval Shipyard and an overhaul until 26 April. From 12 to 22 July she participated in Exercise "Belaying Pin" off San Diego. Then on 17 August Hull departed San Diego for a 6-month WestPac deployment. She was the flagship of Commander Task Unit 70.8.9 for three 30-day patrols off South Vietnam. Between patrols the distroyer visited Kaoshiung, Taiwan; Hong Kong; Chin-hae, Korea; and Sasebo, Japan. The third war patrol began 21 December and ended 16 January 1967. Hull returned to San Diego in late January, arriving 11 February, for operations into the fall off the West Coast.

Published: Mon Jul 20 14:06:55 EDT 2015