(Sch: cpl. 57; a. 5 18-pdr.)
A large strong wasp whose sting is severe
The fourth Hornet was purchased at Georgetown, D.C., in 1813, and commissioned 15 March 1814, Sailing Master Joseph Middleton in command. She served primarily as a dispatch ship along the eastern seaboard, assisting in some coast and harbor survey work before sold at Norfolk in 1820.