(Sip: t. 71; cpl. 34; a. 10 guns)
A large strong wasp whose sting is severe
The second Hornet, formerly merchant ship Traveller of Massachusetts, was purchased at Malta and joined the American blockade of Tripoli in April 1805, Lt. Samuel Evans in command. Her bombardment in company with Argus and Nautilus 27 April 1805 helped force the surrender of Derne to a land expedition bringing pressure to bear on the besieged port of Tripoli, where the Bashaw soon accepted terms of peace.
After helping to evacuate the expedition from Derne, Hornet joined the fleet in a show of strength off Tunis and other Barbary ports. This was effective in quelling threats of piratical acts against merchant shipping in the Mediterranean. Hornet continued patrol to insure safety of American commerce in the Mediterranean until 3 June 1806. After riding out a severe gale that carried away her top mast, she arrived in Philadelphia 9 August. Hornet decommissioned and was sold at Philadelphia 3 September 1806.