Skip to main content
Related Content
  • Boats-Ships--Support Ships
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Hercules V (AK-41)

(AK-41: dp. 5,150 It; l. 473'1"; b. 66'; dr. 27'2" ; sp. 16 k.; cpl. 129; a. 1 5", 4 3", T. C3E)

Hercules, the son of Zeus and Alcmene, was celebrated in Greek mythology for his great strength. He was especially famous for the 12 "Herculean" tasks or "labors" imposed on him as a result of the hatred of Hera, Zeus' jealous wife.


Hercules (AK-41), ex-S.S. Exporter, was launched 18 July 1939 by the Fore River Ship Building Co., Quincy,

Mass., for American Export Lines Inc. Acquired by the Navy 15 July 1941, she continued to be operated by civilian crews until 30 November 1942, when she commissioned at San Francisco, Comdr. W. H. Turnquist, USNR, in command.

Departing San Francisco 18 December, Hercules reached Noumea, New Caledonia, 6 January 1943 to discharge her cargo. She returned to San Francisco 20 February and repeated the voyage from 11 March to 5 July. Hercules sailed for Pearl Harbor 6 August and reached Hawaii 6 days later. As flagship for Admiral Willis A. Lee, CTF 11, she sailed for action 25 August and on 1 September was off Baker Island as the Army began occupation. Remaining off Baker Island until 16 September discharging cargo, Hercules returned to Pearl Harbor and from there sailed for San Francisco.

Taking on passengers and cargo, she sailed again for the Pacific war areas 13 October, reaching Funafuti, Bllice Islands, 14 November after discharging cargo at Pearl Harbor. After miscellaneous cargo trips in the southern Pacific, Hercules returned to Pearl 28 January 1944 for repairs. Two round-trips with cargo and passengers to San Francisco brought her into the summer and on 30 May she sailed with the initial invasion force for Saipan. Hercules reached Saipan 15 June, D-Day, and remained there discharging cargo until 24 June. Although Japanese planes filled the air and attacked her several times, Hercules emerged unscathed as American forces continued to sweep across the island to Japan. Departing Saipan 24 June, she returned to Pearl Harbor and from there sailed to Guadalcanal.

Hercules sailed from Guadalcanal 8 September to participate in the invasion of Peleliu, Palau Islands, 15 September. After this hard fought operation she continued on to Hollandia, New Guinea, discharged her cargo, and 13 October sailed for the Philippines. Hercules remained in the Philippines, with several trips back for supplies, for both the initial invasion of San Pedro Bay 20 October and the landings on Lingayen Gulf 9 January 1945, as American forces returned victorious to the Philippines.

Reaching Ulithi 24 January 1945, Hercules embarked troops with cargo and 17 February sailed for Iwo Jima. The invasion of that rugged island began 2 days later, and Hercules steamed in the retirement area until 27 February when she disembarked reserve troops on the beach and received wounded. After discharging her cargo, she remained in the Iwo Jima area until 20 March when, loaded with Marines and their equipment, she sailed for Pearl Harbor. Reaching Pearl 4 April, Hercules carried cargo to Guam and Eniwetok before reaching San Francisco 22 June for a much-needed overhaul.

The war in the Pacific ended while Hercules was still undergoing repairs, but she sailed west again 24 October 1945. Loading ammunition in the Philippines and the Admiralty Islands, she transited the Panama Canal 16 March 1946 and docked at Norfolk 26 March. After a brief trip up the coast to New York and New Jersey, Hercules sailed to Norfolk 18 May and hauled down her commissioning pennant 28 June 1946. Hercules was transferred to the Maritime Commission 18 July. Returning to merchant service, she was renamed Exermont, and later Bostonian.

Hercules received five battle stars for World War II service.

Published: Wed Jul 15 13:47:02 EDT 2015