Grafton II (PCS-1431)
(PCS-1431: dp. 251; l. 136'; b. 25'; dr. 9'; s. 14 k.; cpl. 59; a. 1 40mm., 2 20mm., 2 rkt, 2 dcp., 2 dct.; cl. PCS-1413)
A county in New Hampshire.
The second Grafton was laid down as PCS-1431 by Gibbs Gas Engine Corp., Jacksonville, Fla.; 12 May 1943; launched 2 November; sponsored by Mrs. John R. Thompson; and commissioned 24 March 1944, Lt. George J. Meyer in command.
After shakedown off the coast of Florida PCS-1431 was assigned to the Fleet Sonar School, Key West, Fla., where she assisted future submariners in learning the skills of offensive and defensive undersea warfare. She remained off Key West throughout the war years, and continued similar services out of Florida from 1946 to 1955.
During May 1955, PCS-1431 was designated a Naval Reserve training ship. She decommissioned 13 July 1955, and for the next 10 years she performed reserve operations along the Ohio River, including Wheeling, W. Va., and Louisville, Ky. PCS-1431 was named Grafton 15 February 1956. She was struck from the Navy List 1 July 1965, and was sold in April 1966.