Commodore Guert Gansevoort, born in Gansevoort, N.Y., 7 June 1812, was appointed a Midshipman in the Navy 4 March 1823. Subsequently he served in the Mediterranean on board Constitution, North Carolina, and Ohio; took part in attacks 011 Tuxpan and Tabasco during the Mexican War; landed seamen and Marines from Decatur to defend Seattle, Washington Territory from hostile Indians in January 1856; was in charge of ordnance at the New York Yard 1861-63 helping fit out ships which had been acquired for blockade duty; and commanded ironclad Roanoke in the last year of the Civil War. He retired 28 January 1867 and died 15 July 1868 at Schenectady, N.Y.
Gansevoort was laid down 16 June 1941 by the Bethlehem Steel Co., San Francisco, Oalif.; launched 11 April 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Robert C. Sofio, wife of a great-grandnephew of Commodore Gansevoort; and commissioned at San Francisco 25 August 1942, Lt. Comdr. E. A. McFall in command.
After shakedown, Gansevoort departed San Francisco 18 November 1942 in the screen of a convoy bound via Hawaii to Noumea, New Caledonia, where she arrived 9 December. Assigned to the South Pacific forces, she spent the next three months giving convoy protection to troop and supply ships reinforcing Guadalcanal from New Caledonia; the New Hebrides; Wellington and Auckland, New Zealand.
This duty terminated 18 March 1943 when Gansevoort departed Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides, to become a unit of Rear Admiral Charles H. McMorris' Northern Covering Group of cruisers and destroyers in the approaches to Attu, Aleutian Islands. She took part in the preinvasion bombardment of Attu 26 April; made several depth charge attacks on a Japanese submarine in that area 14 May for unconfirmed results; screened convoys on the northern and southern approaches around the Aleutian chain; and twice participated in the bombardment of Kiska (2 and 12 August).
She departed Kulka Bay 24 August for repairs in the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard until 28 September, then steamed via Hawaii with Destroyer Division 27 to Wellington, New Zealand. Here, Gansevoort became a unit of Rear Admiral Hill's Southern Attack Force which carried Major General Julian C. Smith's 2d Marine Division to Tarawa Atoll, Gilbert Islands.
Gansevoort provided continuous gunfire support to Marines during the initial landings on Tarawa 20 November, closing the beach to blast enemy strongpoints with point-blank fire. On 24 November she sped to support Marine forces occupying Apamama Atoll. After embarking Marine wounded, she opened an accurate bombardment that destroyed the entire Japanese garrison on that atoll. She conducted antisubmarine patrol around Tarawa until 4 December, then proceeded via Hawaii to San Francisco where both her high pressure turbines were replaced.
Gansevoort departed San Francisco 13 March 1944 to join the screen of a convoy bound from Hawaii to Majuro Atoll in the Marshalls where she arrived 1 April. During several months of blockade and antisubmarine patrol in waters off the bypassed enemy garrisons in the eastern Marshalls, she rescued several Marine aviators. Once she closed to within 500 yards of a beach to shell shore batteries while her whaleboat picked up an aviator. She also helped reduce enemy coastal defenses by assisting in the bombardment of Mille Atoll (26 May and 9 June) and Taroa Atoll (8 August). Detached from this duty 19 August, she replenished in Pearl Harbor, then sailed via New Guinea to Manus, Admiralty Islands, to join forces staging for the liberation of the Philippine Islands.
Gansevoort joined Destroyer Squadron 48 in guarding transports of Vice Admiral T. S. Wilkinson's Southern Attack Force off the beachhead of Leyte 20-21 October. From 27 October until 13 December she escorted troop and supply convoys between New Guinea and the Philippines. On 27 December she joined a large supply convoy at Dulag, Leyte. Comprising 99 naval and merchant ships, this important supply convoy departed the 27th to carry men and material to Mindoro. Steaming via Surigao Strait, the ships came under heavy, constant attacks from Japanese bombers and torpedo and suicide planes. As the convoy steamed through the Mindinao and Sulu Seas, the enemy attacked by day and night between 28 December and 30 December and created nearly 72 hours of hell and hard work for sailors in nearly a hundred ships.
Called to General Quarters 49 times in 72 hours, Gansevoort's gunners splashed 5 enemy planes and assisted in splashing 12 others. Although enemy planes sank one merchant ship and one LST and severely damaged a second merchant ship and aviation tender Porcupine (IX-126), their desperate attacks could not halt this powerful force.
She entered Mangarin Bay, Mindoro, with the convey the morning of 30 December 1944. That afternoon a suicide plane which crashed Gansevoort's main deck to port. A terrific explosion cut steering and electric power, started several fires, and killed or wounded 34 of her crew. Damage control parties could not get aft as her main deck was blown upward.
Wilson (DD-408) and Philip (DD-498) helped fight her fires, then she was towed to the Mindoro PT base anchorage. Here Gansevoort was given the unusual assignment of knocking off the stern of the suicide-damaged aviation tender Porcupine with torpedoes in an attempt to extinguish a fire before it reached the aviation gasoline stowed forward. The water was too shoal for torpedoes to be effective, and in spite of one torpedo hit, fire ignited the gasoline, spreading flames across the water to endanger Gansevoort.
Gansevoort was towed to safety in another anchorage off White Beach. With living quarters gutted, her crew made temporary camp on shore. Her engineering officer, damage control officer, and some twenty men remained on board working to save the ship. Despite recurring air attacks and several near misses by bombs, the destroyer escaped further damage and was made seaworthy after a full month of hazardous and exhausting repairs.
Despite periodic air attacks, salvage operations continued until 2 February 1945 when Gansevoort was taken in tow for San Pedro Bay, thence to Ulithi where emergency repairs were completed by 21 April. Steaming via Pearl Harbor, she returned to San Francisco 19 May for battle damage repairs. She then departed San Diego for the East Coast 3 October, arriving New York 20 October.
After participating in the Navy Day celebration in New York, Gansevoort departed 1 November for inactivation overhaul in the Charleston Naval Shipyard. She decommissioned there 1 February 1946 and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. At present she is berthed at Orange, Tex.
Gansevoort received four battle stars for World War II service.