Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Related Content
  • Boats-Ships--Destroyer
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Frank E. Evans (DD-754)

(DD-754: dp. 2,200; l. 376'5"; b. 41'1"; dr. 15'8"; s. 34 k.; cpl. 336; a. 6 5", 10 21" tt., 6 dcp., 2 dct.; cl. Allen M. Sumner)

Frank Edgar Evans, born 19 November 1876 in Franklin, Pa., served as an infantryman in the Spanish-American War, and was commissioned in the Marine Corps 15 February 1900. He served in the Philippines and in the United States prior to World War I, during which he won the Navy Cross and other awards for the distinction of his service in the Marine Brigade of the American Expeditionary Force in France. His postwar service included duty in Haiti, where from 1927 to 1930 he commanded the Constabulary Detachment and was Chief of the Gendarmerie d'Haiti. Brigadier General Evans also was District Marine Officer of several Naval Districts. Retired 1 December 1940, he made his home in Honolulu, where he died 25 November 1941.

Frank E. Evans (DD-754) was launched 3 October 1944 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Staten Island, N.Y.; sponsored by Mrs. Frank E. Evans, widow of General Evans; and commissioned 3 February 1945, Commander H. Smith in command.

Frank E. Evans arrived at Pearl Harbor 18 May 1945 for her final training, and crossed to Eniwetok, Guam, Ulithi, and Okinawa on escort duty. Reaching action waters 24 June, she was assigned to radar picket and local escort duty, often firing on enemy aircraft. At the close of hostilities, she patrolled the Yellow Sea and the Gulf of Chihili, embarked released Americans from prisoner of war camps near Dairen, Manchuria, covered occupation landings at Jinsen, Korea, and continued to operate in the Far East until 6 March 1946 when she sailed from Tsingtao for San Francisco. Immobilized there from 31 March, Frank E. Evans was decommissioned and placed in reserve 14 December 1949.

Recommissioned 15 September 1950 for duty in the Korean war, Frank E. Evans sailed from San Diego 2 January 1951 for duty with the 7th Fleet. On 26 February she began her part in the lengthy siege of Wonsan, during which she engaged enemy shore batteries eleven times. On 18 June she was struck by 30 shrapnel hits, which caused minor wounds to 4 of her crew before the destroyer silenced the enemy battery.

During this tour of duty Frank E. Evans also bombarded targets in the Songjin-Chongjin area, rescued downed aviators, and coordinated and controlled day and night bombing missions by United Nations aircraft. She returned to San Diego 4 September 1951.

Frank E. Evans sailed 22 March 1952 for her second Korean tour, serving on patrol and bombardment duty along the coast of Korea and on the Taiwan Patrol before returning to her new home port, Long Beach, 6 November 1952. Her tour in the Far East from 13 June 1953 to 20 December coincided with the Korean armistice, and was devoted primarily to patrol duty.

From 1954 through 1960, Frank E. Evans completed five tours of duty in the Far East, as well as joining extensive training operations along the west coast and in the Hawaiian Islands, occasionally with Canadian naval ships.

Frank E. Evans received one battle star for World War II service, and five for Korean war service.

Published: Thu Jul 09 07:51:49 EDT 2015