(Submarine No. 21: displacement 330; length 142'7"; beam 15'5"; draft 12'2"; speed 14 knots; complement 22; armament 4 18-inch torpedo tubes; class F-1)
Barracuda (Submarine No. 21) was renamed F-2 on 17 November 1911 and launched 19 March 1912 by Union Iron Works, San Francisco, Calif.; sponsored by Miss A. R. Rolph, daughter of the mayor of San Francisco; and commissioned on 25 June 1912, Lt. (j.g.) F. L. Chew in command.
F-2 joined the First Submarine Group, Pacific Torpedo Flotilla, in operations between San Diego and San Pedro, the Flotilla's base. She continued to play an important part in developing tactics and coordinating the use of underseas craft with the fleet during an extended training period in the Hawaiian Islands, from August 1914 through November 1915.
After lying in ordinary at Mare Island between 15 March 1916 and 13 June 1917, F-2 became flagship of Division 1, Submarine Force, Pacific Fleet. Returning to operations out of San Pedro, she participated in surface and submerged exercises, torpedo proving practice, experiments in balancing at various depths, and trained prospective crews of new submarines. On 18 September 1919, she was placed in reserve commission at San Pedro to be used in elemental school work until decommissioned at Mare Island 15 March 1922.
F-2 was sold on 17 August 1922.