The Navy retained the name carried by this vessel at the time of her acquisition.
Earnest, a Coast and Geodetic Survey vessel, was transferred to the Navy by Executive Order on 28 February 1898, and fitted out as a lighter for use by the Puget Sound Navy Yard, Bremerton, Washington. In 1902, she was towed to the Naval Training Station, Yerba Buena, San Francisco, Calif., serving thereafter in training apprentices. Damaged when grounded in a storm in March 1904, Earnest was stricken from the Navy List, and sold on 10 May 1905 to the California Academy of Science.
Updated, Robert J. Cressman
28 February 2022