(SS-350: dp. 1,526; l. 311'9"; b. 27'3"; dr. 15'3"; s. 20 k.; cpl. 66; a. 1 5", 1021" tt.; cl. Gato)
Any of various small sharks.
Dogfish (SS-350) was launched 27 October 1945 by Electric Boat Co., Groton, Conn.; sponsored by Mrs. A. M. Morgan; and commissioned 29 April 1946, Commander T. S. Baskett in command.
Dogfish sailed out of New London on local duties and cruised to the Caribbean and Bermuda. She was overhauled and extensively modernized at Philadelphia Naval Shipyard from August 1947 to April 1948, and then served in experimental projects as well as normal operations at New London. From 31 October to 19 November 1948 she took part in large-scale fleet exercises ranging from the waters off Florida to Davis Strait between Labrador and Greenland.
She cruised to Scotland, England, and France between 4 February and 3 April 1949 and joined in a convoy exercise off Cape Hatteras in February and March 1952, and operated along the east coast and in the Caribbean during the next 3 years.
Dogfish sailed from New London 1 March 1955 for her first tour with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean, returning to her home port 6 June. She called at Halifax, Nova Scotia, from 4 to 14 June 1956 during NATO Operation "New Broom." On 8 November she stood by and fought the fires on the trawler Agda during local operations out of New London. She cruised to Faslane Bay, Scotland between 31 January and 12 April 1958 to evaluate new equipment, and from 23 May to 8 August 1959 served in the Mediterranean. In October and November, she took part in NATO antisubmarine warfare exercises. After extensive overhaul, she resumed local operations from New London through 1960.