Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Direct II (AM-430)

(AM-430: dp. 620; l. 172'; b. 36'; dr. 10'; s. 16 k.; cpl. 74; a. 1 40 mm.; cl. Agile)

Straightforward; immediate.

II

The second Direct (AM-430) was launched 27 May 1953 by Hiltebrant Dry Dock Co., Kingston, N.Y.; sponsored by Mrs. D. C. Hiltebrant; and commissioned 9 July 1954, Lieutenant Commander B. H. Dean in command. She was reclassified MSO-430 on 7 February 1955.

Based at Charleston, S.C., Direct operated on mine-sweeping exercises and training with other ships. She also provided services to the Fleet Sonar School at Key West, Naval Mine Defense Laboratory at Panama City, and Mine Warfare School at Yorktown. From 1 May to 2 October 1957 she cruised to the Mediterranean for duty with the 6th Fleet. On 14 April 1958 her home port was changed to Yorktown, Va., and on 15 January 1959 to Little Creek, Va. Between 27 April and 27 August 1959 she served again in the Mediterranean, then served in amphibious exercises and other operations through 1962.

Published: Tue Jul 07 07:32:09 EDT 2015