(Ctr: t. 187; l. 58'; b. 20'; dr. 9'; cpl. 50; a. 12 6-pdr.)
Assiduous application; industry.
Diligence was built at Philadelphia, Pa., in 1797 for the Revenue Cutter Service. Her commanding officer was Captain John Brown, USRCS. She was transferred to the Navy Department in 1798 under authority of an act providing for a naval armament approved by Congress 1 July 1797.
In September 1798 Diligence sailed from Philadelphia for Wilmington, N.C., and Savannah, Ga., with arms for the protection of the southern coast. After completing the delivery she cruised for a time along the North Carolina and Virginia coasts. On 15 December she was transferred to Prince Ruperts Bay, Dominica, to rendezvous with Commodore John Barry in frigate United States, from whom she would receive further orders. Diligence performed convoy duty out of that bay until 15 April 1799 when she returned to Wilmington, N.C. Since her small size handicapped her for full naval service, she was returned to the Treasury Department 4 June 1799.