(C-10: dp. 2,094; l. 269'6"; b. 37'; dr. 14'7"; s. 17 k.; cpl. 274; a. 9 5", 3 18" tt; cl. Montgomery)
A city in Michigan.
The third Detroit (CMC), a cruiser, was launched 28 October 1891 by Columbian Iron Works, Baltimore, Md.; sponsored by Miss F. Malster; and commissioned 20 July 1893; Commander W. H. Brownson in command.
Detroit sailed from Norfolk 5 October 1893 for Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and lay at anchor in the harbor to protect American citizens and interests during revolutionary disturbances in Brazil until returning to Norfolk 24 April 1894. She sailed 16 October to serve on the Asiatic Station for 2 years, cruising along the Chinese coast, and visiting ports in Japan and Korea. Detroit returned to New York 17 May 1897, and after overhaul, sailed for Key West where she was based from 16 October 1897, in view of the increasingly tense situation in the Caribbean.
Detroit returned to the Caribbean in February 1899. She protected American interests in Nicaragua, and then in September during the revolutionary movements in Venezuela. She remained at anchor at La Guaira during October and November, then returned to her base at Key West 21 December 1899. Except for two short cruises in 1900 into the Caribbean, she remained at Key West until May when she sailed to Portsmouth, N.H. and was placed out of commission 23 May 1900.
Recommissioned 23 September 1902 Detroit sailed for the Caribbean in November for squadron maneuvers at Culebra and San Juan. She joined Fortune at Port of Spain, Trinidad, in January 1903, and towed her around the coast of South America to Talcahuana, Chile. Detroit operated between Montevideo, Uruguay, and Bahia and Santos, Brazil, until January 1904 when she arrived at Puerto Plata, Santo Domingo, to protect American interests in the revolution-torn island. Her diplomatic offices resulted in a peace conference in June, followed by a capitulation by the insurgent army at Monte Cristi.
Except for a brief cruise to Boston and on to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick in the summer of 1904, Detroit remained off troubled Santo Domingo. She returned to Boston in July 1905, was placed out of commission 1 August 1905, and sold 22 December 1910.