Skip to main content
Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Related Content
  • Boats-Ships--Destroyer
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

David W. Taylor (DD-551)

(DD-551: dp. 2,050; l. 376'6"; b. 39'8"; dr. 17'9"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 273; a. 5 5"; 10 21" tt., 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.), 2 dct.; cl. Fletcher)

David Watson Taylor, born 4 March 1864 in Louisa County, Va., entered the Naval Academy after graduating from Randolph-Macon College in 1881. Appointed Naval Constructor 5 December 1891 he served in this post and as Chief of the Bureau of Construction and Repair during his 40 years of active service. Recognized as an international authority on naval architecture and marine engineering, Rear Admiral Taylor also aided in the development of the NC-type flying boat, the first aircraft to make a transatlantic flight. For his services during World War I he was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal and the French government made him a Commander of the Legion of Honor. Admiral Taylor retired 16 January 1923 and died in Washington, D.C., 28 July 1940.


A Maritime Commission cargo vessel (AP-128) was to be named Admiral David W. Taylor and acquired by the Navy, but the contract was canceled 16 December 1944.


David W. Taylor (DD-551) was launched 4 July 1942 by Gulf Shipbuilding Co., Chickasaw, Ala.; sponsored by Mrs. Imogene Taylor Powell, daughter of Rear Admiral Taylor; and commissioned 18 September 1943, Lieutenant Commander W. H. Johnsen in command.

David W. Taylor escorted a convoy of merchantmen from Charleston, S.C. to Pearl Harbor arriving 20 January 1944. Three days later she got underway to screen a support convoy to the Gilbert and Marshall Islands, returning to Pearl Harbor 29 February. After escorting Intrepid (CV-11) to San Francisco, she sailed from Pearl Harbor 1 April to patrol in the Marshalls until 12 May. Returning to Pearl Harbor 18 May, she had training duties there until 7 June.

From 15 June to 4 August 1944 David W. Taylor sailed in the screen of escort carriers and fleet oilers supporting the Marianas operation. On 4 July she and Riddle (DE-185) attacked and sank the Japanese submarine 1-10 in 15-26' N., 147-48' E. She joined the 3d Fleet 19 August, and sailed out of Manus screening the logistics group supporting the fast carrier task forces in their raids preparing for and accompanying the capture and occupation of the southern Palaus. With her base of operations Ulithi from 29 October, David W. Taylor continued to screen the logistics group until 22 November when she joined the carriers for air attacks on Luzon in support of the invading troops on Leyte.

On 29 December 1944 she sailed from Ulithi for the air raids on the Bonins, bombarding Chichi Jima 5 January 1945. At 0745 that day an underwater explosion, probably a mine, heavily damaged the ship and killed four men, but disciplined and skillful damage control brought her safely to Saipan 7 January under her own power. She continued to Hunter's Point, Calif., for an overhaul and repairs from 13 February to 7 May.

Sailing from San Diego 15 May 1945 David W. Taylor bombarded Emidj Island on 18 June on her way to Okinawa, arriving 30 June. She operated with a task group off Okinawa. She arrived at Takasu, Kyushu, 4 September, as escort for a convoy carrying occupation troops. She covered the landings at Wakanoura Wan and Nagoya until sailing 31 October for San Diego, arriving 17 November. David W. Taylor was placed out of commission in reserve there 17 August 1946.


On 15 May 1951, the destroyer was leased to Spain where she served as Almirante Ferrandez for the next twenty years. Spain purchased the destroyer on 1 October 1972 and she remained in service until disposed of sometime during 1988.

David W. Taylor received eight battle stars for World War II service.

11 April 2005

Published: Mon Jul 06 12:47:12 EDT 2015