The Navy retained the name carried by this vessel at the time of her acquisition.
(Id.No. 1966: displacement 4,500; length 411'1"; beam 50'9"; draft 10'0" (mean); speed 11.3 knots (maximum), 10,4 knots (cruising); complement (messes) 110)
The steel-hulled twin paddle wheel passenger steamer C. W. Morse -- built in 1914 at Wilmington, Del., by Harlan & Hollingsworth -- was chartered by the Navy from the Hudson [River] Navigation Co., and given the identification number (Id.No.) 1966.
On 12 December 1917, C. W. Morse was placed in service in the Third Naval District as a receiving ship at New York, N.Y. She was stricken from the Navy List and returned to her owner on 10 February 1919.
Robert J. Cressman
4 October 2021