Skip to main content
Related Content
  • Boats-Ships--Destroyer
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

(DD-544: dp. 2050; l. 376'5"; b. 39'7"; dr. 17'9"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 329; a. 5 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Fletcher)

Joseph Boyd enlisted in the Navy 4 April 1803 as a steward. On 16 February 1804 he took part in the expedition which burned Philadelphia following her capture by the Tripolitanians. Boyd later became a clerk.

Boyd (DD-544) was launched 29 October 1942 by Bethlehem Steel Co., San Pedro, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. C. W. Styer; and commissioned 8 May 1943, Lieutenant Commander U. S. G. Sharp in command.

As a unit of the Pacific Fleet, Boyd departed for Pearl harbor 14 July 1943. After additional training she took part in the occupation of Baker Island (1 September 1943) and then joined the fast carriers as a screening vessel for the Wake Island raid (5-6 October) and the Gilbert Islands landings (19 November-8 December). During the bombardment of Nauru Island (8 December) Boyd was damaged by a Japanese shore battery while on a rescue mission. As a result she had to return to Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides, for repairs.

Following repairs Boyd arrived at Pearl harbor 23 march 1944. She joined TF 58 for the Hollandia landings (21-24 April); Truk-Satawan-Ponape raid (29 April-1 May); Saipan landings (11-24 June); 1st Bonins raid (15-16 June); Battle of the Philippine Sea (19-20 June); 2d Bonins raid (24 June); 3d Bonins raid (3-4 July); invasion of Guam (12 July-15 August); Palau-Yap-Ulithi raid (25-27 July); 4th Bonins raid (4-5 August); occupation of the southern Palaus (9-24 September); and Morotai landings (15 September). She then joined TF 38 for the strikes against Okinawa (10 October), northern Luzon and Formosa (11-14 October), and Luzon (15 October), which preceded the Leyte landings. After taking part in the Battle for Leyte Gulf (24-25 October), she screened the carriers launching strikes against Luzon (5-6, 13-14, and 19-25 November).

Between 31 December 1944 and 22 January 1945 Boyd served as an escort vessel. She then took part in the 24 January 1945 bombardment of Iwo Jima and in the occupation of the island (19 February-1 March). She arrived off Okinawa 25 March and remained there on screening duty until 30 June. She then rejoined the 3rd Fleet for strikes against the Japanese home islands (10 July-7 August). One of the first vessels to return to the United States after the Japanese surrender, Boyd departed Okinawa 7 September and underwent overhaul at Mare Island Navy Yard (25 September-28 November). She then moved to San Diego, arriving 14 January 1946, and placed out of commission in reserve 15 January 1947.

Recommissioned 24 November 1950, the destroyer reported to the Pacific Fleet. Following training off the west coast, Boyd departed for Korea 28 May 1951. She remained there, serving with TF 77 and on the Formosa Strait Patrol, until returning to San Diego 21 December 1951. Boyd departed San Diego 12 July 1952 for her second Korean tour. She departed Korean waters in late January and arrived San Diego 16 February 1953. Since the end of the Korean fighting Boyd has continued operations along the west coast and has made three Far Eastern tours.

Boyd received 11 battle stars for World War II and five for her Korean service.

Update for 1953 through 1969 pending.

Boyd was decommissioned on 1 October 1969 and removed from the Navy list on the same date.



14 December 2005

Published: Fri Jun 26 09:37:20 EDT 2015