(DD-151: dp. 1154; l. 314'5"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'; s. 35 k.; cpl. 159; a. 4 4", 2 3"; 12 21" TT.; cl. Wickes)
Born in Philadelphia, Pa., in 1750, Nicholas Biddle was appointed a Captain in the Continental Navy in 1775. He had a brilliant career in command of Andrew Doria and Randolph and was killed when the latter blew up while engaging the far larger HMS Yarmouth, 7 March 1778.
The second Biddle (Destroyer No. 151) was launched 3 October 1918 by William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co., Philadelphia, Pa.; sponsored by Miss Elise B. Robinson, a great-great-grandniece of Captain Biddle; and commissioned 22 April 1919, Commander C. T. Blackburn in command.
Following her commissioning, Biddle made a cruise to the Mediterranean and returned to New York 1 July 1920. After assignment to Division 48, Atlantic Fleet, she cruised along the east coast until decommissioned at Philadelphia Navy Yard 20 June 1922. She remained laid up until recommissioned 16 October 1939. Until November 1940 she served on patrol duty with Destroyer Division 66, Atlantic squadron, and on training duty with Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps. She patrolled in the Caribbean under orders of the Commandant, 15th Naval District (November 1940-May 1941) and then rejoined Destroyer Division 66 patrolling out of Key West, Fla.
Biddle spend March 1942-February 1945 on convoy duty in the Caribbean except for two short periods. She formed part of anti-submarine TG 21.13 (18 January-27 February 1944) and escorted a convoy to North Africa (24 March-11 May 1944). During the latter mission, 11-12 April, while fighting off an air attack, she had seven men wounded by a strafing attack by a German plane. Biddle operated off the east coast, March-July 1945, on training exercises with motor torpedo boats. She was reclassified a miscellaneous auxiliary (AG-114) 30 June 1945 and arrived at Boston Navy Yard 15 July for conversion. Her conversion was completed just as the war with Japan ended and she remained at Boston until decommissioned 5 October 1945. She was sold 3 December 1946.
Biddle received one battle star for her service with Convoy UGS-37.
3 February 2006