Skip to main content
Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Related Content
  • Boats-Ships--Frigate
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Beaufort III (PF-59)


A city in South Carolina, and the seat of government for Beaufort County.


(PF-59: displacement 1,430; length 303'11"; beam 37'6"; draft 13'8" (limiting); speed 20.3 knots (trial); complement 176; armament 2 3-inch, 4 40 millimeter, 4 20 millimeter, 8 depth charge projectors, 1 depth charge projector (Hedgehog), 2 depth charge tracks; class Tacoma; type S2 S2 AQ1)

The third Beaufort (PF-59) laid down on 21 July 1943 at Superior, Wisc., by the Globe Shipbuilding Co. under a Maritime Commission contract (M.C. Hull 1466); launched on 9 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Elma G. Rodgers; accepted by the Navy on 8 July 1944 and placed in service for the trip to Boston; where she arrived on 20 July 1944; placed out of service on 29 July 1944; converted to a weather station ship at the Boston [Mass.] Navy Yard; and commissioned on 28 August 1944, Lt. Cmdr. George R. Boyce, USCG, temporarily in command.

During the folIowing week, Beaufort completed fitting out and received a new commanding officer, Lt. B. R. Henry, USCG. On 8 September 1944, she got underway for a shakedown cruise to Bermuda. The ship arrived back at Boston on 6 October. After a nine-day repair period, the patrol frigate headed for Hussey Sound (near Portland, Maine) for five days of training before returning to Boston. Soon thereafter, she sailed for Argentia, Newfoundland. During the remainder of World War II and for some seven months thereafter, she operated out of Argentia as a weather station ship with additional duty as a plane guard and air-sea rescue ship. In March 1946, she was temporarily assigned to the Coast Guard pending inactivation.

Beaufort reported to the Commandant, Fifth Naval District, on 28 March 1946 and was decommissioned at Norfolk, Va., on 19 April 1946. Her name was stricken from the Naval Register on 21 May 1946, and she was sold to the Sun Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Chester, Pa., on 11 April 1947 for scrapping.

Raymond A. Mann

Updated, Robert J. Cressman,

26 October 2021

Published: Tue Oct 26 10:03:54 EDT 2021