(DD-756: dp. 2,200; l. 376'6"; b. 40'10"; dr. 15'8"; s. 34.2 k. (tl.); cpl. 345; a. 6 5", 10 40mm., 11 20mm., 10 21" tt., 6 dcp., 2 dct.; cl. Allen M. Sumner)
Frank Edmund Beatty, born in Jefferson County, Wis., on 26 November 1853, graduated with the Naval Academy Class of 1875, and then served at sea in the wooden screw-sloop Tuscarora before receiving his ensign's commission in 1876. After service at sea in a succession of ships (Minnesota, Richmond, Despatch, and Tallapoosa) between 1878 and 1889, he completed two tours of duty on shore, first in the Library and War Records Office (among the predecessor offices of the present Naval Historical Center) and then participating in the deliberation of the International Marine Conference.
In the spring of 1892, Beatty returned to duty afloat, serving briefly in Ranger before being ordered to the monitor Miantonomah. After torpedo instruction, the young officer, by then a lieutenant, served in the dynamite cruiser Vesuvius; and spent the next few years alternating between duty ashore at the Naval Academy and afloat, in Monongahela. Reporting to the gunboat Adams in the summer of 1897, he became that ship's executive officer in October and served in that capacity until transferred to the monitor Monterey in March 1898. The following spring, Beatty became the executive officer of gunboat Wheeling.
Shore duty at the Washington Navy Yard preceded a tour in charge of the Department of Yards and Docks in the Navy Department from 13 February 1901 to 21 January 1902. Two commands followed in succession: first, the nautical school ship Saratoga and then Gloucester, before he became Commander, Naval Base, Culebra, Puerto Rico, in February 1904, with additional duty commanding Gloucester.
After a brief tour first as assistant inspector and later as the inspector of the 9th Light House District, headquartered at Chicago, Ill., Beatty spent the next decade alternating between ordnance duty ashore and service afloat, commanding in turn the cruisers Columbia and Charleston and the battleship Wisconsin. His shore duty included a tour as Assistant Superintendent of the Naval Gun Factory, Washington Navy Yard; one in the Bureau of Ordnance as a member of the board on sights; and, ultimately, a stint as Commandant of the Washington Navy Yard and Superintendent of the Naval Gun Factory. While holding the latter post from 1905 to 1907, Beatty was instrumental in the development of an electric range finder.
Upon attaining flag rank in the spring of 1912, Beatty became a fleet division commander. Rear Admiral Beatty commanded a succession of Atlantic Fleet divisions (4th, 1st, and 3d) in 1913 and 1914. The outbreak of war in Europe in the summer of 1914 found him in command of Division 3, with his flag in Virginia. Detached from that duty in December 1914, he took up new duties as Commandant of the Norfolk Navy Yard and of the Norfolk Naval Station on 4 January 1915. Temporary duty in command of forces engaged in a war game in the spring of 1915 interrupted his tour at Norfolk; but, he soon returned to his duties there and carried them out until June 1916.
Reporting to the Chief of Naval Operations for "temporary duty in connection with naval districts" in October 1916, Beatty served briefly as the Commandant, 5th Naval District, before being switched to the 6th Naval District, at Charleston, S.C., in February 1917. He served in that post for the rest of World War I and into 1919. Detached from all active duty in September 1919, he retired on 6 October 1919. Rear Admiral Beatty died at Charleston on 16 March 1926.
Beatty (DD-873) was renamed Hawkins (q.v.) on 22 June 1944, and the name Beatty was simultaneously reassigned to DD-756.
Robert J. Cressman
The second Beatty was laid down on Independence Day 1944 at Staten Island, N.Y., by the Bethlehem Steel Co.; launched on 30 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Charles H. Drayton and her daughter Miss Mary Drayton; and commissioned on 31 March 1945, Comdr. Malcolm T. Munger in command.
After fitting out, the destroyer conducted her shakedown cruise in the vicinity of Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and underwent post-shakedown repairs at the New York Navy Yard during late May and the first three weeks of June. Beatty operated out of Norfolk, Va., as a training ship from late June to 24 August, and then sailed for the West Indies on another training cruise. By that time, Japan had capitulated, ending hostilities. On 12 September, she reported for duty to the Commander, Destroyers, Atlantic Fleet, but returned to training duty out of Norfolk about a week later. That service lasted until 10 November when she sailed for the Pacific. The destroyer reached San Diego on 25 November but soon continued on to Pearl Harbor where she resumed training duty.
Beatty returned to the east coast in March 1946 and operated along the eastern seaboard until heading for European waters in February 1947. She reached England on 25 February and then visited ports in France, Belgium, Denmark, Scotland, Sweden, and Portugal. She reached her last port of call of the deployment, Gibraltar, late in July and arrived back in Newport on 14 August. After 13 months of operations along the east coast and in the West Indies, the destroyer stood out of Newport on 13 September 1948 bound for the Mediterranean. She joined the 6th Fleet at Gibraltar on 23 September and, in addition to the usual port visits and exercises, patrolled the Palestinian coast between 2 November and 7 December during the first Arab-Israeli war. The warship completed the deployment on 23 January 1949 when she arrived back in Newport. For more than two years, with time out for an overhaul at the Boston Naval Shipyard, Beatty operated along the east coast, in the West Indies, and in the Gulf of Mexico. On 5 March 1951, the destroyer deployed to the Mediterranean Sea once again but returned to Newport at the end of the first week in June.
More 2d Fleet operations occupied her until early autumn. She departed Newport on 2 October, bound for the western Pacific and, after transiting the Panama Canal and visiting San Diego, Pearl Harbor, and Midway Island, she arrived in Yokosuka, Japan, on 31 October. On 4 November, Beatty joined the screen of Task Force (TF) 77, the fast carrier force, off the coast of Korea. From 6 to 9 November, the destroyer moved inshore to bombard installations at Wonsan harbor. Near the end of the month, she shelled targets at Chongjin, Songjin, and Tachon. Between 5 and 11 December, Beatty operated independently in the vicinity of Hingoan, patrolling for mines and submarines. Relieved of that duty on the 11th, she returned to Yokosuka on the 13th.
The destroyer departed Yokosuka on 28 December and, after a trip to Okinawa, rendezvoused with TF 77 off the Korean coast on 9 January 1952. For the remainder of the month, she served in the screen of the fast carriers and acted as their plane guard. After visiting Sasebo between 31 January and 5 February, she began her final tour of duty screening the carriers. Beatty made one more visit to Yokosuka from 22 to 27 February before heading back to Newport. Steaming via the Indian Ocean, the Suez Canal, the Mediterranean Sea, and the Atlantic Ocean, the warship completed a circumnavigation of the world with her arrival at Newport on 21 April.
Following an overhaul at the Boston Naval Shipyard during the summer of 1952, she resumed duty out of Newport on 26 September. For almost 13-years, Beatty operated from the base at Newport alternating deployments to the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean Sea with operations along the east coast of the United States and in the West Indies. During several of her tours of duty in the Mediterranean, the destroyer was detached from the 6th Fleet for brief periods of service in the Indian Ocean with the Middle East Force. She also made cruises to northern European ports in 1954 and 1957 following NATO exercises in the Atlantic. She participated in type training, antisubmarine warfare (ASW), and fleet exercises during all of her assignments. Her operations out of Newport, punctuated by regular overhauls at various east coast naval shipyards, also included refresher training and summer training cruises for Naval Academy and NROTC midshipmen.
There were a number of highlights during that phase of her career. While conducting post-overhaul refresher training late in July 1959, she saved the abandoned motor vessel Nassau Relief from sinking off the coast of the Dominican Republic. Late in September and early in October 1959, Beatty provided services to the Fleet Sonar School at Key West, Fla. In January of 1960, she helped to track a high altitude research balloon during Operation "Skyhook." The destroyer spent two weeks in November of 1961 cruising off the coast of the Dominican Republic during a time of internal troubles for that nation. A year later in November 1962, Beatty took part in the quarantine of Cuba established to keep Russian offensive missiles from reaching that island. The last event of particular note in which she took part during this period came in May 1963 when the warship provided support for Project Mercury during Maj. S. Gordon Cooper's 22-orbit Faith 7 space flight.
In April of 1965, Beatty's home port was changed to Norfolk where she arrived on 3 June to begin an overhaul that lasted until October. Though her base of operations changed, her missions remained the same as before, deployments to European waters alternated with operations along the east coast and in the West Indies. She continued that employment until 1 January 1968 when she was placed in a caretaker status with a greatly reduced crew. Later that year, she learned that she was slated to become a Naval Reserve training ship. At the end of the first week in September, the destroyer made the voyage from Norfolk to Tampa, Fla. From that new home port, she helped to train naval reservists until 1972. In March 1972, a survey board found her to be beyond economical modernization, and recommended her disposal. On 14 July 1972, Beatty was decommissioned at Charleston, and her name struck from the Navy list. That same day, she was transferred to the Venezuelan Navy. Renamed Carabobo, she served Venezuela until 1981. Presumably, she was sold for scrap at that time.
Beatty (DD-756) earned two battle stars during the Korean conflict.
Raymond A. Mann
22 February 2006