(IX-153: dp. 10,960 (f.); 1. 366'; b. 54'; dr. 33')
Asphalt (IX-153), a non-self-propelled, concrete barge built in 1944 at San Francisco, Calif., by Barrett & Hilp, Belair Shipyards, was acquired by the Navy on 30 June 1944 through the Maritime Commission and was placed in service that same day. Assigned to the Service Force, Pacific Fleet, as a floating provisions storage facility, she spent her brief career at forward bases, for the most part at Saipan, as a unit of Service Squadron 10. When a storm struck the anchorage at Saipan on 6 October 1944, Asphalt's anchor chains parted, and she was driven hard aground on a coral reef. The barge was then declared a total loss. After her cargo and machinery were salvaged, she was abandoned. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 23 February 1945.