(AK-156: dp. 7,450; 1. 338'6"; b. 50'; dr. 21'; s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 79; a. 1 3", 6 20mm.; cl. Alamosa; T. C1-M-AV1)
A town in Conejos County, Colo.
Alamosa (AK-156) was laid down under a Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 2101) on 15 November 1943 at Richmond, Calif., by Kaiser Cargo, Inc.; launched on 14 April 1944; sponsored by Mrs. J. J. Mullane; and acquired by the Navy and commissioned on 10 August 1944, Lt. Comdr. K. C. Ingraham in command.
After a brief fitting out period in the San Francisco Bay area, Alamosa sailed for Portland, Oreg. There the ship entered the Commercial Iron Works yards and was decommissioned on 25 August for conversion to an ammunition issue ship. She was recommissioned on 25 September and got underway on 6 October for shakedown out of San Pedro, Calif. After taking on ammunition at Mare Island, Alamosa set sail on November for the Marshall Islands.
Upon arriving at Eniwetok on 7 December, Alamosa was assigned to Service Squadron 8. For the duration of World War II, the vessel carried ammunition and cargo between Eniwetok, Saipan, Guam, Ulithi, Peleliu, and Leyte.
After the end of hostilities, Alamosa entered drydock at Apra Harbor, Guam, on 1 October 1945. Following the completion of repairs, she got underway again on 7 January 1946, bound for home. She arrived at Seattle, Wash., on 27 January; was decommissioned there on 20 May 1946; and was turned over to the Maritime Commission's War Shipping Administration for disposal. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 14 June 1946. The ship remained in the hands of the Maritime Commission until early 1970 when she disappeared from merchant ship registers.