Before the United States entered the Great War, the Allied forces were at a distinct disadvantage against the 24-mile range of German 38cm guns. In the fall of 1918, five United States Navy 14-inch guns mounted on railway batteries were put to use in the Meuse-Argonne sector of western France. Their range, which was about equal to the German guns, enabled them to hit targets at the rear of German lines like supply trains, reinforcement groups, or communication stations. Though their size and the need for specialized railroad spurs to fire them limited their movement, they proved useful. The last shot from a railway gun was fired at 10:57am on November 11, 1918, three minutes before the negotiated armistice.