An aerial view of the U.S. Naval Academy, looking northeast, mid-1930s. The dismasted white-painted vessel seen at the upper right is Reina Mercedes (IX-25), an unprotected cruiser originally captured from the Spanish at the 1898 Battle of Santiago and ultimately used as a detention and barracks ship at the academy until 1957. Photographed from an NAS Anacostia-based aircraft (NH 116159).
"Selecting the Site of the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland, 1845," oil on canvas Jes W. Schlaikjer, 1941. It depicts U.S. Navy officers and civilian officials examining the terrain in the vicinity of Fort Severn, which is visible in the left background. The original painting is in the U.S. Naval Academy Museum, Annapolis, Maryland. It was donated by the Alco Division, Publications Corporation in 1942 (KN-10950).
A 29 June 1869 letter from the Naval Academy notifying the candidate, Albert Michelson, of his successfully completing the academy's entrance examination. The original letter is in the Naval Academy Museum Collection (NH 47847).
Midshipman at gunnery practice aboard a training vessel at the Naval Academy, 1887 (NH 1582).
Commander Edward Simpson, Commandant of Midshipman, circa 1863 (NHF-106-07).
The Naval Academy crew team, 1879 (NH 120314).
The U.S. Naval Academy Class of 1892 (UA 475.09).
Cutter drill at the Naval Academy, 1893 (NH 2296).
Original layout for the new Naval Academy, c. 1896 (USN 901351).
Naval Academy officers' baseball team, summer 1895. Seated in the middle row at left is Ensign Edward W. Eberle, who as a captain would be academy superintendant during World War I and, as an admiral, Chief of Naval Operations from July 1923 to November 1927 (NH 53161).
USS Monongahela, practice ship for the Naval Academy from 1894-97, tied up to the academy wharf, summer 1898 (NH 68423).
Make and mend: Midshipmen mending uniform items, 1896 (NH 120268).
U.S. Naval Academy midshipmen, probably in 1904, when the first class was allowed to have pipes (UA 57.04.04).
"The dog house" at the Naval Academy, temporary resting place of John Paul Jones, 1906 (NH 65661).
Panorama of the U.S. Naval Academy in 1909, from the Officers' Quarters at left to the waterfront at right. Bancroft Hall is in the center (S-360-A).
Start of a cutter race at the Virginia Capes, in which Naval Academy midshipmen participated, circa 1914. USS Kansas (Battleship No. 21) is center right (NH 68252).
Secretary of the Navy Josephus Daniels, the Prince of Wales (future King George VI), Naval Academy Superintendant Rear Admiral Archibald Scales, Assistant Secretary of the Navy Franklin D. Roosevelt, and others at the academy, 1919 (NH 120543).
Interior of the Naval Academy Chapel, likely photographed just before World War II (NH 1822).
Naval Academy midshipmen literally learning the ropes, 1945 (80-G-K-6073).
Dock area of the Naval Academy, 1917 (NH 68761).
Aerial view of U.S. Naval Academy Dairy Farm, mid-1930s. Photographed from an NAS Anacostia-based aircraft (NH 116158).
The Naval Academy's "Japanese Bell" on exhibit on the academy grounds during an autumn day during World War II. The bell was brought to the United States by Commodore Matthew C. Perry in 1854 and, until the VJ Day celebration on 14 August 1945, had been rung only after a football victory over the Army (80-G-K-13847).
Midshipmen practice signaling with semaphore flags, 1945 (80-G-K-6074).
German submarine U-505, captured in June 1944, and German fleet torpedoboat T-35 on display at the U.S. Naval Academy in October 1945 during the academy's centennial exhibition (80-G-701320).
Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, Chief of Naval Operations, autographs a copy of Japanese surrender document with the original pen presented by him 18 months prior to the U.S. Naval Academy Museum, while Senator T. F. Green of Rhode Island and a group of submarine officers look on. The occasion was "Submarine Week," held at the Naval Academy 11-18 April 1947 (NH 58149).
Plebes rowing in formation on the Severn River past the Naval Academy, 1950 (L39-09.09.01).
A dentist checks the teeth of Midshipman Chrystal A. Lewis from Alexandria, Virginia, a new arrival at the Naval Academy in 1976, the first year in which women were admitted to the Naval Academy (L39-10.07.03).
Specially selected Marine Corps noncommissioned officers, attached to the Department of Ordnance and Gunnery of the U.S. Naval Academy, instruct the midshipmen on the nomenclature and operation of the M-1 rifle and carbine before any actual firing, 1950 (L39-09.10.01).
The U.S. Naval Academy Class of 1905 celebrate their 65th reunion at the U.S. Naval Academy Homecoming, 1970. Present are (left to right): Rear Admiral Harry E. Shoemaker, Mrs. L. P. Davis, Captain A. B. Court, Mrs. R. E. Ingersoll, Admiral Royal Eason Ingersoll, Rear Admiral William R. Furlong, Mr. Hanson Baldwin (in back, president of the U.S. Naval Academy Alumni Association), Mrs. W. R. Furlong, Captain James O. Gawne, Captain L. P. Davis, Mrs. J. O. Gawne (NH 91007).
A Naval Academy midshipman first class marches with newly arrived plebes at the end of their day of processing, 1976 (L39-10.07.02).
Midshipmen, officers, and petty officers march up the steps to Bancroft Hall during a World War II ceremony, circa 1944. Note audience gathered before the Tecumseh statue in the left distance (80-G-K-13842).