(AVG-24: displacement 13,890; length 492-0-; beam 69-6-; draft 25-6-; speed 16 knots; complement 646; armament 2 5-, 20 40mm., 27 20mm.; class Bogue)
One who plunders. A British name.
Ravager (AVG-24) was laid down as MC hull 240 on 11 April 1942 by Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Corp., Tacoma, Wash.; launched 16 July 1942; sponsored by Mrs. C. G. Mitchell; acquired by the U.S. Navy and transferred to the United Kingdom under lend-lease on 25 April 1943; and commissioned in the Royal Navy the same day.
During World War II, HMS Ravager (D. 70), redesignated on U.S. Navy records as CVE-24 on 15 July 1943, operated in the Atlantic protecting Allied shipping from German U-boats. After the war ended, she arrived Norfolk 9 February 1946 and was returned to the U.S. Navy there on 27 February, the day she was decommissioned by the Royal Navy. Ravager was sold to William B. St. John of New York City, 1 July 1947, and was placed in merchant service as Robin Trent.
23 September 2005