A city and bay on the New York shore of Lake Champlain, the scene of the Battle of Plattsburg 11 September 1814, in which Commodore Macdonough's victory forced the British to abandon their offensive thrust down the Lake Champlain-Hudson Valley corridor and return to Canada.
During the War of 1812, Adam and Noah Brown worked on constructing 58-gun frigate Plattsburg at Sackett's Harbor, N.Y., under a contract dated 15 December 1814. However, after word arrived that the Treaty of Ghent had ended the war, work on the warship was stopped and she remained unfinished on the stocks until she was sold some time before 1824.
Plattsburg, formerly the SS New York, was built in 1888 by J. & G. Thomson, Clydebank, Scotland. She was chartered by the Navy from the International Mercantile Marine Company on 9 May 1918 and converted into a troop transport. She was assigned to the Cruiser and Transport Force and commissioned at New York 24 May 1918.
Plattsburg departed New York in convoy with her first load of troops for Europe on 12 June 1918, arriving at Liverpool on the 23rd and returning to New York on 11 July. The ship was returning from her fourth trip to Europe when the Armistice was signed, having transported a total of 8,776 troops.
She made seven trips after the Armistice, returning a total of 24,330 American soldiers. Upon her arrival at New York from her last trip, 29 August 1919, she was transferred from the Cruiser and Transport Force to the 3d Naval District. She was turned over to the War Department on 6 October and returned to her owners 7 October 1919.