(ScTug: dp. 854 (f.); l. 149-; b. 28-7-; d. 12-, s. 16 k.; cpl. 58, a. 2 3 pdr.)
A river in New England, forming the boundary between Maine and New Hampshire.
The third Piscataqua, a screw tug, was built as W. H. Brown in 1897 by F. W. Wheeler Company, West Bay City, Mich., for the W. H. Brown & Co.
Purchased by the Navy 11 May 1898, she was renamed Piscataqua; and commissioned 18 June 1898, Lt. Comdr. Nathan E. Niles in command.
The ship served in Cuban waters during the Spanish-American War and was reassigned to the Asiatic Station in 1900. In July 1920, the tug was given the designation AT-49.
Piscataqua was placed out of commission at Cavite, Philippines 10 April 1922, struck from the Navy List 4 August 1930, and sold for scrapping 7 January 1931 in Manila.
(AOG-70: dp. 1,988; l. 325-2-; b. 48-2-; dr. 19-; s. 10 k.; Cpl. 80; a. 1 3-, 2 40mm., 8 20mm.; cl. Klickitat)
Piscataqua, a T-1 gasoline tanker, was laid down under Maritime Commission contract 24 March 1945 by St. John's River Shipbuilding Corporation, Jacksonville, Fla.; launched 26 May 1945; but naval acquisition of the ship was cancelled 27 August 1945. The oiler was delivered to the Maritime Commission 18 September 1945, and entered the merchant marine service under the name Louden.