(IX-110: dp. 8,747; l. 416-; b. 54-; dr. 18-9-; s. 13 k.; acc. 819; a. 1 3-, 1 40mm, 8 20mm)
A large American cat, ranging from Texas to Patagonia, tawny yellow or gray with markings of black.
Ocelot (IX-110), a wood-hulled vessel, was built as Yomachichi by Doullet and Williams, Tampa, Florida, in 1919; accepted by the Navy under bare boat charter from the War Shipping Administration 2 October 1943; converted to a barracks ship; and commissioned as Ocelot 15 January 1944, Lt. Milton S. Samuels in command.
After shakedown Ocelot transited the Panama Canal and, following a brief stop in San Diego, arrived at Pearl Harbor and underwent conversion to flagship for Service Squadron 10. With the conversion complete in October, she sailed via Eniwetok for Ulithi where she spent six months providing an administrative post at the advanced base.
The movement of American forces closer to victory necessitated advancing support elements as well. Thus on 24 May 1945 Ocelot shifted to San Pedro Bay, Leyte, and on 13 September to Buckner Bay, Okinawa. Three days after her arrival in Okinawa, a typhoon struck and drove her aground. She quickly refloated, but another typhoon on 9 October caused her to ground and break in two. Stripped of salvageable items, she decommissioned 6 December and was to struck from the Navy List 3 January 1946. She was returned the WSA 5 April and her hulk was sold to a Chinese firm for scrapping on 19 February 1948.