LST-28 was laid down on 8 December 1942 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 19 April 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Michael Torick; and commissioned on 19 June 1943.
During World War II, LST-28 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
Convoy UGS-36-April 1944
Invasion of Normandy-June 1944
LST-28 was decommissioned on 16 August 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 29 October 1946. On 19 May 1948, she was sold to George H. Nutman, of Brooklyn, N.Y., for scrapping.
LST-28 earned two battle stars for World War II service.