Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials
LST-177

LST-177 was laid down on 5 February 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 16 May 1943; sponsored by Mrs. James Gibson; and commissioned on 22 June 1943.

During World War II, LST-177 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the movement of UGS-36 in April 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. On 11 February 1946, the ship was decommissioned and was struck from the Navy list on 12 April 1946. On 13 March 1947, she was transferred to France as a sale. She served in the French Navy as Laita (L-9001) until she was decommissioned in January 1962 and converted to a port depot ship.

LST-177 earned two battle stars for World War II service.