LST-129 was laid down on 1 July 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 8 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Henry Bohnsack; and commissioned on 23 October 1943, Lt. M. J. Prince, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-129 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
(a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June and July 1944
(b) Tinian capture and occupation--July 1944
Western Caroline Islands operation:
(a) Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands-September and October 1944
LST-129 was redesignated IX-198 on 5 December 1944 and was decommissioned on 20 January 1945. She was destroyed on 16 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946.
IX-198 earned three battle stars for World War II service as LST-129.