Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Gladiola (S. P. 184)

(SP-184: t. 43; l. 68'8"; b. 14'5"; dr. 2'7"; s. 10 k.; a. 1 1-pdr, 1 mg.)

A flowering plant of a genus closely related to the iris.

Gladiola, a yacht used as a motor patrol boat, was built in 1911 by the Hudson Yacht & Building Co. of Nyack, N.Y. She was acquired by the Navy from Coburn Haskell, 17 April 1917; and commissioned 1 May 1917, Ens. John S. Baker, USNRF, in command.

Gladiola was operational control of the 5th Naval District and served in the Norfolk-Hampton Roads, Va., area as a Naval Port Guard craft and as a customs boat. She decommissioned and was simultaneously returned to her owner 25 February 1919.

Published: Fri Feb 05 12:23:10 EST 2016