(AK: l. 430'1"; b. 53'1"; dr. 26'; s. 16 k.; cpl. 112; a. 1 4")
Former name retained.
El Sol, a cargo ship, was built in 1910 by Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va.: transferred from the Army 3 August 1918; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant Commander G. Anderson, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service, El Sol carried Army supplies and animals from New York and Newport News to the French ports of Bordeaux, Verdon, and La Pallice on four voyages between 2 September 1918 and 1 April 1919. On her last voyage she went to the assistance of the disabled transport Scranton east of New York and stood by for 40 hours until other aid arrived.
El Sol was detached from the Naval Overseas Transportation Service 3 April 1919 and converted to a troop transport. Assigned to the Cruiser and Transport Force 15 April, she made two additional voyages to France to bring home servicemen. She was decommissioned 18 September 1919, and returned to the Army for delivery to her owners the same day.